Saint Ann’s Church is the oldest Catholic parish in the part of Washington, D.C., which lies west of Rock Creek Park and north ofGeorgetown. The present-day Church is the third on the site, and is a larger version of a church, designed by the same architect, that is the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
The origins of the Parish go back to the middle of the 19th century. In 1847 Georgetown College purchased a farm and a house on present-day Wisconsin Avenue, which were used as a place for recreation and a retreat house. During the Civil War, Tenleytown became the site of one of the strongest forts that protected the nation’s capital and was a place for training and encampment. Local Catholics asked the Jesuits at Georgetown College to establish a Sunday mission church; a small wooden church was opened in 1867, across from the juncture of Wisconsin Avenue and Grant Road.
A second parish church, Neo Classic Style, stone structure, was completed in 1903 and is located at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Yuma Street N.W.
Construction of the current church began in 1946. The church was dedicated in 1948, with a dedicatory sermon by the Most Reverend Patrick A. O’Boyle the new, and first, Archbishop of Washington.
Saint Ann’s Parish is that part of the Body of Christ of the Archdiocese of Washington centered in and around the Tenleytown community of our Nation’s capital city. Our mission is to provide reverent and prayerful worship of God primarily through the Sacraments of the Church; to foster the bonds of faith and friendship within our community; to evangelize people of all ages and cultures; and to be of service to people regardless of culture, religion or boundaries.